Piano Teacher Profile Projects Overview
Please note: This is simply an overview of the requirements of the Certification Teacher Profile. You must consult the Projects Workbook for complete instructions and suggestions.
Project #1 – Write Your Teaching Philosophy
Project #2 – Analyze Four Teaching Pieces
Give the historical background, teaching approach and theory analysis for each of the four mid-intermediate teaching pieces provided to you following submission of your application and payment of fee.
Project #3 – Present Your Teaching
- Video record three lesson segments with the same student on the same piece.
- List the materials used in the recorded lessons.
- Write a self-evaluation of each recorded lesson segment.
- Discuss how you adapt the lessons to this student’s learning modality.
- Provide your goals for this student.
- Show how you assess the outcomes of your teaching.
- Play and video record 5 to 10 minutes of your playing. Pianists must choose pieces that are listed as a Level 7 or above in The Pianist’s Guide to Standard Teaching and Performance Literature by Jane Magrath (Alfred Publishing Co.). These pieces do not have to be memorized.
Project #4 – Share Information About Your Teaching Environment
- Describe how you foster a teaching environment that promotes learning in your studio.
- Provide supporting documentation for three resources that you use in your studio or classroom.
- Describe how you use these three resources.
Project #5 – Discuss Your Business Ethics And Studio Policies
- Describe how you would ethically deal with three scenarios involving students, colleagues, and family members.
- Document your studio and business policies.